Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Jew or Muslim? You Can Tell By How It's Tied

Last week my husband received his diploma, a masters degree.  It took over thirty years from his first attempt to the ceremony last week.  That's even longer than the twenty-two years it took me to get my bachelors degree.  I started at Stern College, NYC, and I finished in the now-closed Jerusalem branch of Empire State College, SUNY.

I got a real kick out of observing the other attendees at the ceremony at Hebrew University, Mt. Scopus, Jerusalem.  You had Jews and Arabs and probably other nationalities/religions who didn't dress in such obvious costumes.  My camera zoom caught two styles of women's hair-covering.  Both a scarves, the religious Muslim and the religious Jew.  The big difference is in how they're tied and wrapped.



PS At Yafiz I've been noticing more and more Arab women with Jewish style hats and scarves.  To be honest, if I had covered my neck like the Arab women do, I'd have a much younger looking neck at this age.

3 comments:

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

The same goal -- just different approaches.

Thanks for sharing this. And mazal tov to the master!

Batya said...

Yes and thanks so much.

Mrs. S. said...

Mazal tov to your husband on receiving his masters!

Shavua tov and chodesh tov!