Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Shakshuka Plus

Last night I decided to make myself a Shakshuka, but no real surprise, I tweaked it into something a bit different. Shakshuka is "poached eggs on tomato sauce."

Most people eating shakshuka mop up the sauce with bread or pita, but since I do my best to stay away from delicious carbohydrates like breads of all varieties, I knew that I needed to add something more filling to the "sauce." And to be honest, my sauce wasn't really a sauce.

 My "sauce" consisted of two tomatoes, an onion, some garlic, a squash, a couple of slices of fresh ginger, some peppercorns and a pepper sauteed with some oil in a covered pan.


Once the vegetables were well cooked, I added the eggs and covered it again. I didn't bother making the vegetables into more of a sauce, since having something to chew is more filling. And when you're trying to lose weight, you want a low-calorie low-carb meal to be as filling as possible.

Yes, the shakshuka I made for dinner is very similar to my breakfast "vegetable omelets." But the shakshuka was made with more vegetables, and recently I've been eating a different sort of breakfast. That means that I can eat eggs as protein at other times of the day. After years of being maligned, eggs are finally being rightfully praised by nutritionists as fantastic, healthy and easy to digest proteins.

After adding the eggs, I turned off the heat, since eggs cook quickly in a hot pan. You may certainly add herbs and spices and other vegetables to your shakshuka. It's one of those great dishes that lends itself to all sorts of creativity.

My Dinner Shakshuka was delicious.

No comments: