Monday, March 18, 2019

Starting Purim Early, Dance Fest for Women

Here in Shiloh we celebrate two days of Purim, although our local Chief Rabbi Elchanan Bin-Nun has been consulting with Torah scholars to get a final psak, halachik decision for us to join other ancient Biblical cities in celebrating only Shushan Purim, which is the second day.

After thirty-seven 37 years of a double Purim, it's pretty routine for me. There are advantages, OK only one or two I can think of.

  1. We can give our kids a choice about which day they want to come to us, as long as it's a group decision.
  2. We get to know the text of Megilat (Scroll of) Ester really well.
When I was young, I'd frequently find myself pulling an overnighter, needing all of that second night to cook for a second feast and mishloach manot, the food gifts one gives out. Now I can't do that, and I don't need to. We do less entertaining, and with just the two of us home, I also give out fewer food gifts.

At one time, I promoted having the second night as the perfect time for a Women's Purim Party. I blogged about one as Baile RochelGot That Rhythm! In recent years I haven't even gone to most of the parties, whichever night they had been held. Generally as I'd approach the location, the tsunami-like super-loud music pushed me away. But yesterday (a few days before Purim) was this year's party, and I had promised my friend, who was going to lead Belly Dancing that I'd come. 

My Belly Dancing friend added a few costume additions, so I'd look the part. Sorry, but I'm not posting a full body pose. I had never done that genre of dance, except that one time I wrote about, but did my best to follow. I didn't do too badly, though I was the oldest in the hall, even old enough to be the grandmother of some of the others there. 

Belly Dancing was great fun. Maybe I should convince her to give classes next year. It certainly makes one move every single muscle and parts of the body that in my case had been frozen for decades. 

Now, I'm ready for our two-day Purim Marathon!

2 comments:

Netivotgirl said...

What a delightful way to get into the mood before Purim! May you and all of Am Yisrael have a joyous and peaceful Purim Sameach!

Batya said...

amen
very successful evening