Thursday, August 15, 2019

Pishers' Guide to Jerusalem #31, Good Deal in "Supersol Deal," Givat Shaul

This is a continuation in my ongoing series about public toilets in Jerusalem. See #30#29#28#27#26#25#24,  #23#22#21#20#19#18#17#16#15a#15#14#13#12#11#10#9#8#7, #6#5, Saved by The First Station aka #4a#4#3#2 and #1.

One night after attending a funeral in Har Hamenuchot Givat Shaul, I needed a WC 00 ASAP. Actually there are public toilets at the cemetery, but since I had a ride out, and the public transportation is infrequent at best...


My companion and I found ourselves on the main drag of Givat Shaul, by all the stores, offices and restaurants. We walked quite a distance looking for a restaurant open for dinner besides a public toilet. The usually bustling street looked more like Brigadoon as the mist covers before its long hibernation.

Getting rather desperate, I entered open the branch of Supersol Deal, since I have discovered that all the supermarkets in Jerusalem have public toilets. Most are hidden, like this one is, in the back storage area. Even though there were a few signs, I asked an employee, since I didn't want to waste time.


As I approached the welcome facilities, I saw a worker washing the floor. He asked that I wait until he finished, so I wouldn't slip on the wet floor.

The fact that the area smelled clean helped me wait patiently. I was happy to see that the public toilet, which no doubt is for the staff as well as the public, had paper and soap. It was in better shape than many restaurant loos.

I told the worker that I'd be writing it up and giving them high marks.

I did feel a bit guilty about using the facilities without purchasing anything. Unlike many (or most) restaurants, never has a supermarket told me that their restrooms are for paying customers only, nor do they charge an entrance fee.

If you have any locations, recommendations, warnings concerning public toilets, please let me know in the comments.

No comments: