Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Pishers' Guide to Jerusalem #28, Machane Yehuda WC, Fright at First Sight

This is a continuation in my ongoing series about public toilets in Jerusalem. See  #27,  #26,  #25,  #24,  #23#22#21,#20#19#18#17#16,  #15a#15,  #14#13#12#11#10#9,  #8#7,  #6,  #5, Saved by The First Station aka #4a#4#3#2 and #1

It is located by this fish store close to the corner of the shuk street, not lane.
Lots of people have asked me to review these public toilets. It's not that easy, because I don't get to Machane Yehuda very often, and I rarely succeed in finding the 00, WCs. Today after my friend and I ate in one of the new shuq "eateries," we continued wandering around and I was overjoyed to find the loo.  That is until I began to walk in.


I must say that besides the off-putting disgusting mess, the WC didn't smell, and to its credit it also had toilet paper and soap.

It seems to me that the Jerusalem Municipality has been trying its budget-cutting skills in the department that is responsible for public toilets. There has been a serious deterioration in the standards of Jerusalem Public Toilets in the past couple of years. WCs I've used for years without complaints have become BYOP-Bring Your Own Paper and HYN-Hold Your Nose. And on the rare occasion I find them clean and equipped, I think I've won the lottery.

The mess of paper that greeted me must have been from those women who used it in between the last cleaning and my arrival. My only complaint that can be blamed on the municipality is that they have to fix the lock of the handicapped stall.

Of course, maybe I was just lucky and arrived there within an hour of cleaning. But we all know that smells remain in toilets which aren't cleaned well and sufficiently frequently according to use. And I had no complaints about that problem in the shuq loo.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

10 comments:

YMedad said...

28?

Batya said...

Yes, thanks. Fixed it.

Unknown said...

Was in that one on Sunday. Was so disgusting. No paper. Fithy place!!!

Unknown said...

Only one in the Shul ?

Batya said...

Deena, I guess I was just lucky.
Frank, there's one for men on a different street.

Ariela ben-Eliezer said...

pretty pathetic that this isn't more of a priority when toursism and business is so sought after. what address--city of jerusalem(?)--to write to some entity that might care?

Batya said...

I just sent a letter to In Jerusalem.

Ariela ben-Eliezer said...

oh, that's a good idea.

Ariela ben-Eliezer said...


maybe the key is for businesses in the area to come together and offer co-responsibility to the city of jerusalem? perhaps the city would offer a subsity.

hang list on back of door with date and catagories (soap, tp, paper towels. general cleanliness, etc) and the cleaning person has to sign and write hour there. it works in 5-star hotels and (some) hospitals. probably such an endeavor is a dream. but, then, 10 years ago no one fastened their seat belts. never give up hope.

Batya said...

Gd willing