Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Homemade Challah, Actually Easy and Totally Delicious!

I considered this the best challah I've ever made, but the kids complained.


"It doesn't taste like your old ones."
"It's not like we remember."
I had my husband help with the kneading;  that's always the hardest part for me.  I used Demerara sugar, rather than the dark brown I used to bake with.

This challah is very easy to "shape," since all it did was roll lots of balls and place them, with room to expand/rise in the baking dish.  A friend reminded me that I had once lent her a heart-shaped baking pan in which she baked one of those "ball challot" for a special occassion.  This "shaped" challah isn't to be sliced/served with a knife.  Everyone is supposed to just grab a ball, making it lots of fun for kids and those young at heart.

Years ago, probably during my Stern (SCW) days I remember hearing at the Shabbat table that challah tastes better when ripped.  My husband never went for that idea, so years ago, when he wasn't home for a Shabbat and I was alone with the kids, we'd enjoy tearing pieces off the challah for ourselves, rather than being served knife-cut slices.

2 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

Looks delicious!

Batya said...

I think it was, but taste is so individual, and frequently when my kids come to visit they have these sensory taste memories they want to relive. And I've gone in different culinary and diet directions.