Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Such a Simple Vegetable Soup

Here's the soup I made for myself when I could barely hold a knife, and even harder was cutting with one.  I needed a good hearty meal, and while at the job of cooking, of course I made a quantity enough for a few meals.


To cut down on the stress to my injured shoulder/arm, as you can see, I didn't cut the vegetables much.  The brown lentils needed plenty of cooking, so that suits the timing for large carrots.  I just cut them with the spoon when eating.  They were very soft.

Exact quantities aer not important.  The most important thing is a good pot with a lid. 

Here are the instructions:
  • check your lentils, peas or any combo for small stones or bugs
  • put them in a pot and more than cover with boiling water
  • cover and leave for at least an hour
  • add more boiling water and put on a low flame
  • add onion, carrot and any other vegetable you want, such as squash, pumpkin or sweet potato
  • add a spoon or more of cooking oil
  • leave to cook on a low flame for an hour or so
  • if you see the water being absorbed add more boiling water
  • add your salt and seasoning only when it's almost ready
  • when everything is soft, turn off the flame, leave it for a few minutes and it's ready to eat

2 comments:

Leora said...

I'm glad you were able to make yourself healthy food despite your new limitations. Hope they heal soon.

I made a similar soup with lentils and sweet potato for a friend who just lost her husband. I used cumin, turmeric and salt as the spices. I also added ginger root (although that may be harder for you to cut right now).

Be well.

Batya said...

Leora, thanks, My aim was to cook something that required minimal cutting and maximum... yumminess and nutrition. I got a few meals out of that soup.