Sunday, May 18, 2014

Cooking That Gorgeous NS2 Shekel Kilo Zucchini

Last week when I was shopping for fruit in Machane Yehuda, Jerusalem's main open market, I spotted some giant zucchini in my favorite bargain stall for only ns2 shekel a kilo. That's only about 60¢ for 2 lbs 3 oz.


So even though they clearly aren't fruit, I just had to buy one. And of course I should have bought lots more. But stupidly being my usual doubting paranoid self I was sure there had to be "a catch," like maybe they weren't as good, gorgeous and fresh as they seemed. That's why I only bought one.

This is how I cooked/baked it. I layered the baking (bake and serve) pan with onions, then strips of eggplant, zucchini, slices of tomatoes and some fresh garlic, as you can see. I poured a bit of oil on top and then put it in the oven.


With the help of a vegetable-loving guest, my husband and I almost finished it all off on Friday night. And that was just one small part of a large meal which included soup, chicken, salad, rice and two other cooked vegetable dishes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds delicious! I must try it.
-Lorri M.

Batya said...

Lorri, it is so easy. That's why I never give exact quantities.

Anonymous said...

I am going to run out to the Sunday Farmer's Market, this afternoon, and get the ingredients and make it tomorrow.
-Lorri

Batya said...

Lorri, great!