Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Dressing Dolls, Like Grandmother, Like Granddaughters

One of the things I do at work is to keep the mannequins well dressed in the latest fashions. It's an unofficial special responsibility I've taken on in Yafiz, Sha'ar Binyamin. I started dressing the dolls, because I really didn't like how they looked and I thought they needed clothing/fashion changes a lot more frequently then they had been getting.

I really get a thrill out of hearing customers come in wanting "just like the mannequin is wearing." And when I have to strip the poor doll of her clothes for a customer I thank the customer for telling me what a good job I did in putting together the outfit. It really does make me feel good when one of the outfits I had put together has attracted a customer into the store.

Another of my small touches to the way the store is set up is when I change the order of outfits hanging together so that the one I consider most attractive or has the best color is in front. Playing around with style, being an unofficial "stylist" makes the job lots more fun for me.

During one of my babysitting times for the grandkids I saw that the granddaughters also like to dress and accessorize dolls. I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised. they are my granddaughters...

4 comments:

rutimizrachi said...

One of the reasons I like this post is that you make the choice to create interesting things about your job, rather than finding your work unsatisfying and boring, as someone else might. By grabbing the creative opportunities, you make your job more special and more "you," and your customers benefit as well! Great life lesson.

Batya said...

Ruti, thanks. It's also how the store is run. The staff is just the right size to give us this flexibility. If it wasn't for the low salary...

Anonymous said...

How inspiring for your customers, and for us to read, Batya!

Yes, my granddaughter loves to dress and be creative with accessorizing. It runs in your family and mine, apparently. :)
-Lorri M.

Batya said...

Lorri, thanks