Saturday, September 10, 2016

Cooking Lamb? Looking for No Fail Healthy Recipes


For the past few years just before Rosh Hashanah, my husband has been hinting for me to cook some lamb. So, maybe I'll take the plunge. Here are some giant frozen "things" labeled as "lamb" in Rami Levy, the discount supermarket I sometimes/frequently shop in, since it's next to Yafiz where I work.

These "things" are a bit large for my freezer and my oven, but I trust that they shrink when thawed out. The recipes I've seen aren't very appetizing. So, I'm asking my loyal, trusted and creative readers for help. And of course it must be kosher, meaning no adding dairy or fish products.

You should know that I'm not interested in adding a jar of jam or bottle of juice (especially not concentrate) or a cup of oil or things like that. I'm not that sort of cook...

So, please comment with your suggestions, guidelines and recipes. If you're a reader of this blog, you know that I'm not very good at following recipes and measuring, unless it's a cake. So, let's see if this request helps, thanks.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Hi Batya. I cook my lamb on a rack from the grill pan in the oven. I put some water in the pan under the metal rack. I put veggies in there to cook slowly. We like potatoes, carrots and stuff that cooks slowly. Then I put a stick of rosemary and some seasoning on the lamb and cover the top with aluminium foil. Cook long and slow. Then you can shred the meat and eat with the veggies.

Batya said...

Thanks, I don't have a rack, but thanks for the advice. I also consider potatoes and carrots best for long cooking recipes. Other vegetables just get too mushy and disgusting.

YMedad said...

Vegetables are never disgusting.

Batya said...

When overcooked they are. Some need very tender care.