Tuesday, July 05, 2005

another super-simple recipe

Last Friday I was wracking my brains to think of something to bring to my daughter's for Shabbat. For whatever reason I kept thinking of carrots, maybe a carrot cake, but none of us needed the extra calories. Also, a can of pineapple chunks was "burning a hole" in the closet.

Then, I got my inspiration!!!

A carrot salad. I had never made one before and was still traumatized by the spoiled tasting one served at the Chemdat evening at the Hyatt. I was hankering for a good one.

I checked a couple of cookbooks to make sure I wasn't crazy and then made my own version of the "easiest ever carrot salad."

I put a half a dozen medium carrots in the foodprocessor on shred. It filled my small foodprocessor, so if you live in large carrot country, 3 or four will suffice. Then I poured, pushed, prodded the strings into a mixing bowl and added a can of light syrup pineapple chunks and mixed. Then I packed it all into jars to take to my daughter's.

It was a hit, tasted great with chicken, turkey, fish, everything we ate! You can make it a bit more interesting with raisins and maybe chopped nuts and other dried fruit.

Let me know how it comes out.

3 comments:

Esther said...

Sounds intriguing. Can't promise I'll try it, but you never know.... now that it's in the brain. ;)

Batya said...

It's so easy, and it was delicious.

Anonymous said...

Add a dash of curry to carrot salad...and a little honey...