Wednesday, September 21, 2005

shopping

I went shopping today. Two very different goals. First I promised my mother I'd get her some of her medications which she found cheaper here in Israel. Second, I've worn all my shoes and sandals out. No more spring to the step and worse.

The ones I wear "all the time" seem to have died. I have to schlepp them. They don't propel me forward.

A second pair of sandals are made of nice soft leather, a very expensive European brand. Well, this nice soft leather has stretched and stretched, making wearing them a serious danger. Luckily I have strong ankles, bli eyin haraa--evil eye not by me, or I'd be a cripple. Those sandals would be good to donate to a terrorist, who should break her (there are females) ankles as she's walking on uneven ground and fall on the bomb and let it explode among her loved ones.

Another pair, considered a top American brand, was worn to death. They were very good when "younger," like... and they did a great job keeping me comfortable when I unexpectedly walked a good portion of the way to Jerusalem, on the first Avihu Chai March two years ago. But this summer the sandals were ready for retirement. I took them to the states, and when I wore them on Shabbat at my sister-in-law's it was very hard for me to walk the mile plus to ther shul. The following week, I wore different ones and walked with ease. So, they have to go. They're only good for standing still, and how often do I do that?

And my "walking shoes" can't be walked in. All I want to do is take them off. No wonder I no longer read "Fly Lady."

So I shopped. I found some shoes that were so comfortable, I put my feet in and didn't bother even lacing them. It was love at first fit, first try, whatever. That was store one, which I hadn't been to for years. After that I picked up the medication at "Ora." then to one of Jerusalem's oldest shoe stores. I bought "Yom Kippur shoes" there 36 years ago. They always have a great selection of sandals. The saleslady was the pits; I found the sandal I wanted sitting on a chair. Don't nitpick if you don't think sandals sit. Unfortunately they didn't have my size so I got something similar, good price, for me. And then after she brought out what I was already wearing, yuch! I found something in the catalog which looked great. It felt good on, so wasn't that enough shopping in one day?

2 comments:

Esther said...

Well done. I love my pair of Naot sandles I got in Israel.

Batya said...

Israel does have the best sandals. One of the pairs I got were Naot. I'm still debating getting new inserts for my old ones.