Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Crocheting Report

You've heard about my hobby, my new hobby, haven't you? I resumed crocheting this past summer, after about a twenty year break. It's very surprising, at least to me.

In my previous crocheting existence, I made kippot for my husband and maybe for my sons, who were very young when I quit. My daughters then took up needle and were much more productive and talented than I ever was.

In recent years, basically since I stopped crocheting, I did needlepoint, but I ran out of wall space. And I prefer seeing family on the walls than unattractive tapestries that took me years to complete.

Crocheting friends, hat-crocheting friends to be more exact, would periodically try to convince me to try. The big problem is that I don't think I look too great in the hats. Finally towards the end of my last needlepoint, I realized that I needed something smaller and more portable to do, to keep me sane.

So I've been crocheting since the summer and even wear one of them, though I do think I look better in real hats bought in a store.

A few times I've had to give away the yarn, because I couldn't work with it. I give it to my daughter who passes it to her mother-in-law, AKA the "other savta." And she'll use it mostly to make things for our joint granddaughters or my daughter. That's fine with me. She knows how to knit.

I am not interested in knitting. I hate the idea of clanging away, bothering people with those two sticks. I need very little space to crochet and even did it when Porat was sleeping on my shoulder. My hands were free. Also with knitting there's the danger of dropping a stitch and ruining all your hard work.

And to tell you something, you may not know. I haven't the vaguest idea what I'm really doing.

P.S. I just used the google spellcheck and it was better than blogger.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually love the sound effects from knitting, but I am not as good at knitting as I am at crochet.

Batya said...

I'm hyper-sensitive to sound, so silent crocheting is more my speed.