Thursday, November 24, 2005

Returned from Turkey Dinner

We had a our first "Thanksgiving" Dinner with friends in Shiloh. There was a real turkey, roasted by a Canadian. American folk songs led by a London bred neighbor who made aliyah from New Zealand with his Malaysian-born wife. This is Shiloh!

Of course there were others from the states, but of course it's always more interesting to start with the unexpected. There were even guests from Jerusalem, who came by bus.

I brought the booze and had some in order to make others feel comfortable about drinking. All I accomplished was to drink by myself, but I did what was asked, which was to bring the booze.

We had a great time talking, laughing, telling jokes. I took some pictures, but the film's not finished yet.

And I'll end with a very suitable little "dvar Torah," Torah lesson.
The traditional food to eat on Thanksgiving is a turkey. In Hebrew it's called, "hodu," after India. But "hodu" also means, "thank!" (plural command) From the verb, "l'hodot," to thank. So that's why we thave turkey, hodu, on Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

wendy said...

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving!