Well, I don't make vegetable pies, but I did. Before the Passover Holiday we have to use up food that isn't permitted over the holiday. That makes for some strange meals at times.
My elder son loves "mallowach," a fatty Yemenite bread. In Israel they're easy to find in the frozen food section of most groceries and supermarkets. When he was living here he stocked up on them, and then he moved out. I don't eat the stuff. It's really fattening.
To make sure I always had some low-calorie foods, I bought some frozen vegetables, but I never finished the package.
So, I made a shidduch, a match made in heaven, between mallowach and frozen vegetables! That's right! A vegetable pie! Two to be precise.
Easier than Easy Vegetable Pie
- place one mallowach on the bottom of the pan
- put a generous amount of vegetables over it
- I added a freshly sliced onion
- then put another mallowach on top
- bake in a medium oven until the upper mallowach is high and crispy, like a mallowach should be
- You can add cheese or anything else you want.
- meat should be precooked, since the mallowach cooks quickly, even if frozen
- to reduce calories, only use the upper mallowach