Thursday, July 05, 2007

The 4th of July?

In all honesty, I was never one to really celebrate the 4th of July, even in my American life. It's not that we were against it, but I don't remember much being done, even in summer camp. Maybe I once went to the World's Fair and saw a great fireworks display. They had some beauties, very moving.

Actually, I no longer enjoy fireworks, ever since an Israeli we met in France, summer of 1976, when we took British Betar for a "summer camp" there said that it reminded him tanks exploding. He was working in the place doing maintenance while studying mime in the Marcel Marceau school. I think his name was Eli Levi. About 25 years later my baby did his IDF Army service in the tank corps. He should live and be well; so I can do without fireworks.

But back to the 4th of July...
Here in Israel, Tzvi Fishman, a former Shiloh neighbor blogged about his 4th of July feelings. The comments are a riot. All you have to do is same something "almost negative" about the US, and people go ballistic. I wish they cared so much about Jews, Judaism and Israel.

My husband went to the Independence Day Reception at the US Consulate in Jerusalem. I didn't go. I don't go when it's during the Three Weeks. I'm not considered anything more than "the wife," so I can't say I'm doing anything crucial in the diplomatic or "hasbara" fields.

It was just another summers day.

2 comments:

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

WOW! I loved that posting!!
It is ashame that people attack those that attack the USA, but yet people close their minds and lips when hearing people attacking the Jewish culture..

So, what does the Third week, mean?
Always,
Crusty~

Batya said...

thanks

The "three weeks" are a time of mourning in the Jewish Calendar. We mourn the destruction of our Holy Temple.