Sunday, July 08, 2007

chicken pox, a generation later

Yes, she does have chicken pox.

My first experience, as a mother, with the illness was a toughie. We were on shlichut, doing youth work for the Jewish Agency, in England. It was Erev Pesach, the morning before the Passover Seder, and...

yes, you guessed it. Chicken Pox on our older daughter. I was in the 9th month with our third and I really was looking forward to being a guest for both nights.

Surprise, I had to do it all at home, just us, the young family. My husband did a quick shopping, and we survived.

Then... about 3 weeks later, or whenever the last possible time... you guessed it again? Whatever the last possible day the second daughter, then just a month over 3, could have the chicken pox, she did. But it wasn't that simple. Is it ever?

When #1 got sick, I became super-anxious that #2 would get sick with it after I gave birth. Apparently I was hysterical enough for my blood pressure to rise. Everyone was healthy when I went for a check-up, 10th month already. They told me I needed to be hospitalized for the blood pressure. "Come in tomorrow morning."

Yes, guessed it didn't you? That morning my #2 was spotted. Now her #2 is spotted, but she has a few months to go, G-d willing.

I wasn't around to take care of her then. So today, I took care of my granddaughter.

2 comments:

therapydoc said...

I left my mother-in-law with twin 4 and their younger sister, all with chicken pox, to have a C-section. She forgave me.

Batya said...

wow! that beats me!

Now, that I'm the grandmother, I know how we'll do anything for the kids and their kids.