Monday, July 08, 2013

Facebook Friending, Accept All, or Keep Up Some Barriers?

Just a reminder to send in your posts (http://blogcarnival.com/bc/submit_17508.html) to be included in the next Havel Havelim, thanks.

Some of you readers are facebook friends of mine, and some of you even clicked this post because I mentioned it on my facebook status.  To be frank that's why I joined facebook, to promote my blogs, but as I got to know fb, I began to treasure the personal, family and friend-real friend aspect of it.  Most of my children, along with cousins and their kids are facebook friends, and I quickly began to limit the amount of people I agreed to "friend."  Suddenly I put up barriers.  If I didn't "know" someone either personally or their blog or want to know them as a person, I refused to accept their fb friendship.

Last night I was at a workshop (here in Shiloh) about using social media for Hasbara, Israel's information campaign.  Now, that is why I opened an account with facebook.  The young man who spoke, from something called "newmedia," if I got the name right, said that to make a splash, have your message get out to the maximum of people, you must have masses and masses of facebook friends.  If I do that, I will offend my kids and confuse family.  Of course I do post links to my blog posts, even the most extreme posts, or especially the most extreme posts.  My political opinions are far from Center.

I have a lot to think about.  Your opinions are welcome.

8 comments:

goyisherebbe said...

I have felt that Shiloh Musings, which is intended to be a blog of wider interest, is not getting the traffic it deserves for the issues it deals with. Maybe that is because other blogs deal with the same issues and promote better. Me-ander OTOH is more personal and private by its nature. They need to be treated differently. FB as a tool to uniformly promote both seems wrong in that case. I do believe that you have to be careful not to friend people indiscriminately or else you will be hacked and/or hassled. I wish I had more answers. Be well.

Batya said...

goyish, how can we make it bigger? Do you share all the posts to your page asking your friends to do the same?

sara g said...

you could have 2 FB profiles. one for people you know or feel friendly towards, and one just for promoting your blogs (probably mostly shiloh musings, and the commentor above said.)

Batya said...

sara g, maybe, but I have enough trouble running two blogs...

Lorri M. said...

I don't use FB for my blogs, only for family and friends. I have family scattered throughout the world (Japan, etc.), and it is a good way to keep up on things, and keep up with with friends, too, for that matter.

I am wanting to promote my blogs more, but do not want to do it on FB.

Batya said...

Lorri, maybe you can use twitter for that?

Lorri M. said...

I thought about using twitter...thanks, Batya.

Batya said...

Lorri there are ways for setting up the posts to post automatically so you don't have to do anything. But you have to sign up lots of twitter friends.