Thursday, October 04, 2018

Another Batch of Challah in New Kitchen

My first batch of challah and rolls pretty much lasted until the end of the Jewish Holiday Season. Between being invited out for meals and buying just a few rolls to supplement, I only restocked/baked more challah yesterday.

My new Electrolux oven is large enough for me to get all the challot in at once, spread over two trays. I used the lower heat plus fan and just kept the upper tray in a bit longer. I experimented a bit with the recipe. This time I didn't add eggs to the batter. We'll see if the challah is less crumbly.

You must understand that my husband and I don't eat a lot of challah or bread. One smallish roll suffices unless we have guests. So, most of what I bake as challot are round rolls. Yesterday between the challot and rolls, there were about sixteen 16 pieces. That should hold us for awhile. I would have baked a bigger batch, but I don't have freezer space. We only have the refrigerator freezer. That's also why I didn't make cakes, too, when I was baking. Since I have plenty of the two types of 1, 2, 3 cookies I had made when the family came, I don't need cake to serve on Shabbat.

All we need now are guests.


No comments: