Tuesday, June 19, 2007

HELP! Everything stinks!

There I was, just innocently relaxing at home, after having a filling replaced and discovering that the last lessons of the school year were on Sunday. The TV-VCR was showing last night's "Law & Order, Special Victims Unit," when I began to notice an unpleasant odor in the house.

Something was burning. No mistake. I left the comfort of the couch and looked outside. I called to a neighbor:

"What's burning?"
"Quick! Bring a bucket of water to behind --'s house!"

I can't carry heavy things, but I took the garbage pail, filled it with water and went to the fire. The smell was awful, but everything was already black, and hoses were spraying from two directions.

I gave someone my pail of water, a rather pathetic contribution to the neighborhood fire-fighting team. There was nothing else for me to do. Of course I took some pictures. So I went home, which stinks, even though there aren't any real windows open in the direction of the fire.

Thank G-d no injuries, and I don't know how it started.

But the stink remains, especially on my laundry drying outside.







No comments: