Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Yes, I'm getting older

Aren't we all? My husband now is eligible for discounts, and I can't wait for that 10% off, too. Not yet, I'll let you know.

We're baby boomers, and I'm a "sandwich," too.

I never expected to hold an outside job until being a grandmother and babysitting for the next generation. I figured that would be my second job. Now I go from trying to teach English to Israeli teenage boys to giving a "taste of English" to the two prettiest, cutest and smartest pre-schoolers around, my granddaughters, of course.

No, I'm not getting sentimental. I just read a NY Times article about how the older actresses are getting chances to play sexy and desirable to younger men on TV. It's definitely not the TV world I grew up with.

It's an interesting article, but I think that the author should have mentioned the contribution of Katherine Helmond, who made a name for herself on TV playing unabashed, sex-obsessed older women. She wasn't seen as the chocolate chip cookie type of grandmother. According to those who know her, it was all an act:

Though she has a special gift for delivering lines with sexual innuendo, Helmond attended the arch-conservative Bob Jones University. Friends and co-workers say she never drinks alcohol, never smoked, and rarely uses R-rated language unless it is in the script. (complete article)

No comments: