Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Presto-- PESTO!!

I don't know about you, but pesto is one of those foods I like to eat but could never imagine making.

It doesn't help that I never knew of it until recently. But I must admit that whenever it's offered I "pig" out on it.

Last Friday morning at the pool, my friend mentioned that she makes pesto. "But she's my age," I kept thinking. "Pesto's a young food, not for us old fogeys."

She insisted that it was real easy to do.

"Take some parsley and garlic and olive oil and lemon juice, and chop them all up in the food processor. You can use any type of green leaves. I never measure."


"Never measure?" That's my kind of recipe.


I was tempted, and they aren't even cream mints, my usual weakness. Pesto's healthy, no?


It ended up that I had to do the Friday shopping, including at the "green grocer," where I picked up some parley and basil.


Then I washed the greens and let them dry.


Put some fresh garlic in the food processor.



Added the greens, olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice.


Turned it on and let it chop.


It really was easy. The hardest part was cleaning the parts of the food processor.

6 comments:

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Looks great

Batya said...

Thanks, tastes great, too!

Baleboosteh said...

Looks good Muse.

I was the manager of an Italian restaurant in Melbourne for a couple of years, we made pesto from olive oil, fresh basil, fresh garlic and pine nuts. It was very rich but very popular!

Batya said...

Thanks, I should have known that you'd be an expert!
My daughter said something about pine nuts, but it seems rich enough as is.

mother in israel said...

Yum! I suspect that it might keep better without the lemon juice.

Batya said...

thanks

that's an idea