Thursday, October 11, 2012

Face 2 Facebook

Yesterday a group of amazing women made history by turning a facebook group into an f2f (real-time) relationship.

I'm not the first to have blogged about it.  Miriam and Rachel beat me to the punch keyboard.  We all agree that it was an amazing event.  No doubt Sharon Katz, of Voices Magazine will blog about it and maybe Risa will blog, too.  I offered the non-bloggers in the group to guest-blog on one of my blogs if they want, on any topic.

Uncharacteristically for me, I ended up arriving last due to some travel snafus.  But I was greeted with so many hugs by women who thanked me for, well being me, which was a very new experience for myself.

Even though we've been communicating for months via facebook, I had no idea of the challenges so many of the members are going through and have overcome.  It was inspiring for sure.  We ended the "brunch" by dividing up T'hillim, Psalms and saying them with prayers for all.

We met in the Café Café in Center 1, near the Jerusalem Central Bus Station.  They were very accommodating in offering our group a private room, which is where a store used to be right next to the restaurant.  That gave us some privacy, and we didn't annoy the other patrons all that much, I hope.  I shared a Halulmi Salad with a friend.  It was perfect.

Unfortunately, service hasn't improved at all at Café Café.  The last time I was there I had promised myself never to return, but one should never say never.  The service was slow and disorganized, though the staff was very pleasant.  We laughed at the irony in the big sign at the main entrance to the expanded Center 1.

When they say "take your time," they mean it.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

That's interesting: I was so focused on the meeting and the content of the meeting that I did not notice the slowness or disorganization of service. I thought it was perfect - I was enjoying the low keyness of it.

But your description of the meeting was right on! Even now, I feel so energized...

Batya said...

Rachel, B"H, we all (almost) had the time, and they didn't limit our use of their private room.
I'm so glad to have actually met you.

Risa Tzohar said...

The meeting was a very meaningful success. Just what the doctor ordered. The service was slow, but we were so engrossed in the conversation that I actually didn't notice.

Miriam said...

Batya, It was a pleasure to meet you and put a real face to all the amazing blogs you post. You are one very talented lady.

Although Devorah, Yair and I started our day before 8:00a.m. and only arrived home around 10:00 p.m. [we went visiting in Gush Etzion after our brunch], when I walked into my house I told my husband I'm so relaxed...my day B"H was just perfect... Thank-you ladies of Coffee Talk, I can't start to tell you the mitzvah you did for me.

Miriam

Miriam

rutimizrachi said...

I LOVED being with all of you dynamic ladies! We must do this "kavua."

Batya said...

Risa, our food did come among the first.

But you're all right, this was the most amazing meeting. I'm in awe of all the wonderful women I finally met f2f. Miriam, I'm glad that it relaxed (and energized?) you.

Ruti, yes, a few times a year, since we're all so busy. Next to the south, then to Shiloh and after that to Gush Etzion, bli neder.

miryam heiliczer said...

Thanks Batya, for adding to this amazing time! I look forward to getting to know you better. - Great blog!

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
I'm so sorry that I had to miss this one. G-d willing that'll be the only one that I miss. Of course I'm looking forward to the next one...

Batya said...

miryam, the feeling is mutual
Hadassa, missed you