Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Lunch To Go

Here's one of the "lunches" I take to work:


It's one of my "fancier" versions of my simple lunch.  I always take a vegetarian meal with me.  One of the reasons is that I don't eat much dairy, besides the milk in my morning coffee and a very occasional plain yogurt.

I rarely eat cheese.  As far as I'm concerned it's one of the most artificial manufactured things one can buy.  Read the ingredients of cheese and also of yogurt.  Besides regular milk (don't buy any with added vitamins and minerals) and plain sweet (no salt) butter, all the dairy products have been adulterated beyond recognition.

My usual meal to go, which considering that most of my work is "night shift" is actually dinner.  When that's the case, I eat a meat/poultry meal at home for lunch.  I need food at work that can be eaten easily and quickly.  So what's in this vegetable "stew?"
  • onions
  • carrots
  • squash
  • oil for sauteing
  • ginger (fresh ginger root, grated, store in freezer)
  • tofu (I cut the block into serving size pieces and store bagged in the freezer until needed)
  • ketchup
  • a bit of water, so it won't stick
I start with the first five ingredients.  I saute them in a covered frying pan.  Then I add the ketchup and some water and cook a bit longer.  I turn off the flame just before it's ready and cover the pan with a towel, to let it continue cooking.

This gives me lots of energy for a long night at work.  And, yes, of course you can always make a family-size version and eat it at home, too.

No comments: