Thursday, October 25, 2012

So Much To Blog About, So Let's Go to The Museum

Last night I couldn't think straight.  I had a lot of new pictures in my camera but didn't have the energy to upload them into the computer.  If I had, I would have blogged about some of them instead of my "lemonade" post.

I don't come from a family of Zionists, nor religious or even traditional Jews.  Most of my relatives are nominally involved in Jewish Life at most.  Many are intermarried, although some of those are very strongly identified as Jews and are active members of Reform Jewish communities.  It's rare for any of my relatives to visit Israel, and if they do come, it's a one-time deal.

So I was overjoyed when my father's youngest first-cousin, who is close to my age came for a second visit with her elderly husband.  I met up with them at the Israel Museum and hope to see them again before they return to the states.  She's the same age as some of my first cousins on my mother's side and I usually see her when I go to New York.  They were very happy to discover that the Israel Museum is now easier to maneuver about, since there are now more ramps and less steps.








Their guide told them a beautiful story about the wooden German Synagogue on display.  He had been on a tour of it.  An old man in the group began to cry.  Afterwards the man was asked what happened.
"I know every picture here by heart.  When I was a little boy and my father took me to shul, I was bored stiff and would just stare at the painted ceiling."


Yes, this was the man's childhood synagogue.

PS It's now permitted to photograph in the museum if you don't use a flash, so I've learned how to control the flash on my camera.

No comments: