Saturday, April 13, 2013

Homemade Sort of "TV Dinners"

When I was growing up, TV dinners were a whole new thing, a frozen meal, all inclusive.  Actually frozen food was just starting to gain popularity. Freezers were getting bigger and technology better and safer.  Today everyone takes frozen food for granted.  Not only is it amazing what you can find in the frozen food section of the supermarket, but people who once had insisted that their husbands and children won't eat food that had been frozen are now experts at preparing all sorts of foods in advance and freezing them.  Yes, of course their family eats them happily.

This year I prepared in advance and then froze the meals for Shabbat HaGadol, the Shabbat immediately before Passover.  All I needed to do was to heat the food and cut up some salad.


Each try holds a different meal, and each meal has chicken, vegetables and a carbohydrate.  For Seudat Shlishit, the third Shabbat meal, I used the batzek allim, puff pastry dough I had found in the freezer and filled it with sweet potato and onion.  Call it sweet potato bourekas


In addition, I baked it with more vegetables.


By utilizing the aluminum pans in this way, I have a very easy time.  No dishes to wash, because I also used disposables.

No comments: