Saturday, October 04, 2014

Better and Simpler than the Finest Sorbet

I was going to say that's what I'm going to show you is better than the best ice cream, but in all honesty, if I had a choice between this simple treat and Häagen-Dazs Mint, I'd probably take the mint.

Since I only eat the mint ice cream on rare visits to the states, my super easy and extremely healthy "Mango faux sorbet" gets my vote.



As you can see, all it is in this recipe is a mango. At the end of the mango season here in Israel, they are very inexpensive. All you need to do is to freeze a ripe mango.

About fifteen 15 minutes before you want to eat the mango or serve it, take it out of the freezer. And then, after waiting the fifteen minutes, cut bite-size pieces with a sharp knife. If you're just eating yourself, like I do, then eat. If you're serving it, put the pieces in a serving dish with toothpicks. Serve immediately or return to the freezer.

The frozen mango has the same texture as a good sorbet, but without any other ingredients.

3 comments:

Rickismom said...

frozen grapes are also great.

goyisherebbe said...

I second the frozen grapes. Haven't tried the mango yet, but will, but maybe only next year. The other thing that is great is to peel and wrap slightly overripe bananas (darkening on the peel but still light-colored inside) in plastic film ("saran wrap") and freeze. We used to get dried Florida mango slices in quantity from my in-laws a"h when they lived in Florida.

Batya said...

rm, goyish, the grapes are like "ice pops," but the mango really has the texture of a perfect sorbet, which is one of the advantages. Last week it was still possible to get great mangoes pretty cheap.
I don't like the feel of the frozen banana, but that's just me.