Sunday, October 05, 2014

Getting Ready for Succot, Thank You, G-d for Making Me a Woman!

OK, this can be considered sexist in the "other direction." I'm very happy that succah building isn't my project at home. And I'm glad that I don't have to deal with getting the "Arba Minim," "Four Species" etc.

Yesterday in shul on Yom Kippur, as I was happily ensconced in front-row center seat in the Ezrat Nashim, Women's Gallery in our neighborhood synagogue, I was very happy to watch the men having to deal with the nitty-gritty of conducting the prayers. I know that the wonderful dovening they led took a lot of preparation. The very talented second-generation Shiloh resident who led us in the final Ne'ila Prayer had it timed absolutely perfectly, which is amazing. This prayer must end exactly on time, not before and not after. On time means that Yom Kippur is over, and the shofar may be blown to herald the end of the holiest day of the year. And considering that everybody (except for those forbidden due to medical issues) has been fasting for 25 hours, nobody wants this prayer to go past that predetermined time. I wouldn't want that responsibility on me.

The pre and post Yom Kippur meals were easy. I just made double and served us the same menu for both meals. And I'll manage the Succot cooking, too. I've been married forty-four 44 years and have dealt with the logistics of food-planning without too many disasters, thank G-d.

It's enough that the decorations are in my hands. I have a very easy way to get simple, free and attractive decorations for the succah. I use the pictures in Jewish Calendars which are sent to us for free from various institutions and charities.


All I need to buy are the thumbtacks to stick them on our wooden walls. If your walls are cloth then use a simple straight pin.

I thought that this would be a short post, but it isn't. Enjoy the Holidays. I have other things to do.

Chag Succot Sameach, 
Have a Wonderfully Joyous Succot!
ושמחת בחגך


No comments: