Sunday, May 29, 2016

Carefully Keeping Kosher

When I'm at work, Yafiz, Sha'ar Binyamin, I take my meal breaks in the pizza/burger kiosk which is, like Yafiz, part of the Rami Levy business empire. I've blogged about my NS15 chicken breast meals I get there.  I only buy them (or something else from the supermarket) when it's impossible for me to bring food from home.

You may be a bit confused, since the place is kosher and you can buy either meat or dairy meals. So to make things clear, there are two very separate kitchens, but the tables can be used by customers eating either or. That means that there can be leftover/scraps of pizza or meat on the tables. That can be very problematic according to the Laws of Kosher food/kashrut. The only way I'd put food on the table for me to eat is to cover it first.

There's a large roll of paper towels, so I take a nice sized piece and make myself a "placemat" of sorts. I've been doing this ever since I began eating there. Honestly, I think that I'm the only one who does this. It's not like there's a "wait staff" who is constantly cleaning the tables. I'm just this nutty, fanatic Ashkenaz American...



But then not long ago I discovered a sign up on the wall.

Dear Customers,
According to Jewish Law, one must place "paper," (paper towel no doubt) under the food you are eating on the table.
Thank you and hearty appetite
So, I'm not a crazy fanatic after all!

No comments: