Tuesday, May 03, 2016

We Thought They'd Live Forever: My Parents

It's so strange to think that both my parents have now passed away. It's only two weeks, since my father died, and in some ways it feels like a million years ago. And in some ways it feels like it never happened, even though I did sit shiva here, before Passover. I wasn't at the funeral, which was held in New York just before Passover began. 

I've been going through pictures and will no doubt post more. My mother passed away less than three years ago. They were both the longest living, record-breaking members of their families. Considering the effects and influences they both had on their grandchildren, even great-grandchildren, nieces, nephews (and their children, too,) and of course the three of us, their kids, in a sense they haven't really died. When you leave descendants and memories, like my parents did, it's clear that just their bodies no longer function. Their talents and interests can be seen in their great-grandchildren and will Gd willing be passed to the yet future generations. 

Sidney Spiegelman, Z"L, and Shirley Spiegelman, Z"L

Sidney Spiegelman, Z"L, and Shirley Spiegelman, Z"L

My Mother and I a few years ago

My Parents and I in their Great Neck, NY, livingroom 

My Father and Uncle Max Kaplan, Z"L, playing with my older daughters over forty years ago

My Father in the US Navy

My Father in the US Navy

My Mother many decades ago

My Father

My Mother

My Parents with a Friend in the Phoenix Old Age Home where they lived for close to three years

My Father and the Traveling Dentist

My Father Leaving the Traveling Dental Clinic
Bli neder, not a vow, I hope to post more photos of my parents from other times in their lives, not just when they were very old.

2 comments:

Tzivia said...

Very moving, thanks. The title of the post says it all, doesn't it?

Batya said...

Thanks, yes...