Monday, July 23, 2018

Low-Tech "Blended" Vegetable Soup

I don't have a stick blender. I did have one many years ago, and since I didn't use it, I passed it on to one of my daughters. She loves it, and I'm pretty sure that by now, that cheap one I got as a bonus, when buying something else, has been replaced at least once.


To be honest, I can't even remember when I last used the potato-masher. It may have been decades ago.

Yesterday's Vegetable Soup was very easy to make. It's my basic one-pot recipe, which I've made before. I don't measure; there's no need to.

Ingredients

  • dried peas
  • onion
  • garlic
  • carrot
  • squash
  • pumpkin
  • dehydrated parsley
  • whatever vegetable oil you like
  • coarse salt and pepper to taste
  • boiling water, time-saver rather than tap
Directions
  1. Check peas, put in pot, add boiling water to cover plus.
  2. Cover and leave for at least an hour.
  3. Cut vegetables.
  4. Add vegetables and oil to pot.
  5. Start cooking on high flame/heat until boiling, then lower to simmer
  6. Add more boiling water, no higher than 2", two inches from top of pot. 
  7. After half an hour add parsley, salt and pepper. 
  8. Cook for at least 10 minutes more. Turn off flame, and let it "sit" for another 10 minutes.
  9. Mash optional, and serve.

PS You can always add more vegetables or leave out the pumpkin or squash. And of course you can cook with fresh parsley. I almost added some sweet potato but wanted to cut our the carbohydrates, so added an additional squash. If you want a heartier soup, then add barley or rice to the peas.

No comments: