Thursday, April 03, 2008

In The Spirit of Chana

A few minutes ago, I had a phone call asking me to participate in a poll. I agreed and began listening to the questions and choosing answers from those offered. With each question, I became more and more concerned. It seemed like one of those polls for the Left, for those fronts for groups which want to prove that we're a bunch of prostitutes--for money we'd leave our homes.

Well, I told the girl on the phone, that I've probably been living in Shiloh since long before she was born, and I find her questions offensive. Yes, I told her that I know that she's just doing her job, what she gets paid to do. I know that she didn't write the questions and the choice of answers.

But I could hear the direction the questions were going.

They started out rather innocuously.

"How would you describe your life in your community?"
excellent
good
passable
bad

"Why did you move to there?"
financial incentives
ideology
and more choces like that

"How do you see your community five years from now?"
destroyed
moved to Israel
moved to another part of "the territories" under "Palestinian" rule
no change

The questions began getting even worse, and I told her:

"I refuse to continue. I know exactly what this survey is for and where it's leading. I find it highly offensive. If I was living in Shiloh, Ohio or Shiloh, Tennessee, nobody would dare ask me such questions or ask me to leave my home."

I told her that I've lived here a long time, and this is the original Shiloh, and I have no plans nor desire to leave.

Yes, this is the Shiloh of the Bible.

This is the Shiloh where Joshua established the capital of the Hebrew tribes after the Exodus from Egypt and the 40 Years of Wandering.

This is the Shiloh where the Tabernacle stood for 369 years.

This is the Shiloh where Chana prayed for a son who would dedicate his life to the Jewish People. And this is the Shiloh where Chana stood up to Eli who accused her of drunkenness, when she prayed silently and sincerely to G-d.

We have returned to pray to G-d at Shiloh. Each of us mouths our words to G-d, like Chana did thousands of years ago. G-d is waiting to hear our prayers. Chazal, our sages, say that Chana was originally infertile, because G-d wanted her prayers to be exceptionally strong.


Today our People and and Land are suffering greatly. We need a true leader with strength of character and a goal and vision of a strong Jewish Nation in our Holy Land.


Please join us in Shiloh on Sunday, Rosh Chodesh Nissan, the Month of Miracles, at 10am.

2 comments:

Leora said...

Welcome back, Batya.

Your caller sounded very rude. I can understand your feeling indignant. Someone's funding this, someone who doesn't support where you live.

Batya said...

Thanks
The girl was just doing her "job," but I didn't have to cooperate. She was polite and didn't argue with me. She offered me the option to just keep answering the options I agreed with.