Sunday, April 27, 2008

Post-Passover Feasting

Good Neighbors

Moroccan Jewry has its own Holiday right after, Pesach, Mimuna, (spelling?)
Traditionally, it's an "open house." Israeli politicians take advantage and "do the rounds," showing up at as many as they can get to. Olmert's latest "The gov't knows how to care for Israel's security" were said at one of his Mimouna stops.
All sorts of delicious, calorie-laden treats are served.
The most important is the mouflatta (spelling?) It's a fine "crepe," thin pancake, like for wrapping blintzes, spread with butter and honey. In recent years my neighbor has taken to making individualized brachot (blessings,) as he does the spreading.

5 comments:

We're the ones who have to put up with them said...

I had never heard of Mimouna before. But...looking at your pictures, it appears to be a holiday worthy of celebrating. Yum!

Batya said...

It's a custom of the Morocan Jews. I only heard of it in Israel, and only began celebrating it when I moved to Shiloh and my neighbors invited me.

Leora said...

Years ago, when I worked at MIT, some Israeli graduate students decided to organize a Maimuna. One of the graduate students used a photo from a book I own, Israel by Frederic Brenner and AB Yehoshua, of a Moroccan Maimuna to create an elegant invitation. We basically had a barbecue, none of those sweets, but you can get similar sweets at a Syrian bakery in Deal, NJ or in Brooklyn (someone from my synagogue travels to get them).

Thanks for bringing back fond memories.

Batya said...

From what I understand, this is the evening event and the cookout is the following day.

My neighbors say that the dairy, milk, butter is for special reasons. Sorry, I forgot what exactly.

Pesky Settler said...

I'd like to use the second to last photo for the KCC banner, if that's ok.