Thursday, July 31, 2008

"Marrow Magic - Save lives!" Please vote to support the project

This was sent to me by a very good friend. Please vote for the project. It could save lives!




I'd like to tell you about a project I submitted to the AMEX Members Project. It's called "Marrow Magic - Save lives!"


For years, I have seen the large efforts that go into small drives to register people to be bone marrow donors, and know there has to be a better way. I would like to get the whole country registered as potential bone marrow donors by having the nation's dentists collect cheek cell samples for the registry. Currently less than 3% of the US population is registered in donor banks.


I think I've found a way to make it happen: American Express has a competition for the funding of new projects:


Members Project is an initiative that brings people together to make a difference in the world. People go online to share ideas for projects. and ultimately vote on which projects will share $2.5 million in funding from American Express.


Please help my project, Marrow Magic - Save lives! receive up to $1.5 million in funding from Amex;


Currently over 150 projects are competing to be the top 25 projects. The 25 that get the most "nominations" will then be voted on to narrow the group to five.


To nominate Marrow Magic - Save lives! for potential funding, please go to
membersproject.com and nominate my project,to reach the Top 25. It's listed in the Health section under Education, or use their search feature, for the word "marrow".


Please campaign for my project by promoting it on the Members Project Discussion Boards and forward this email to all of your friends and family members .


In 2007, Members Project provided clean drinking water to children all across Africa. This year, maybe Marrow Magic - Save lives! will receive funding.


Thanks for your help,
Rose Landowne

4 comments:

A Living Nadneyda said...

I would be interested in hearing more about the science behind the project. Please excuse my ignorance -- I don't understand the connection between cheek samples (used for DNA testing) and bone marrow testing (whereby combatibility is tested through a blood donation).

Thanks,

ALN

Batya said...

I forwarded your question to Rose.

A Living Nadneyda said...

Thanks.

ALN

Anonymous said...

The Gift of Life Bone Marrow Foundation in America has pioneered an easy form of testing, where they can get the information they need from cheek cells, rather than needing a blood test. That's what makes it so logical to do it through dentists offices.