Monday, September 01, 2008

Eyebrows

Recently I've been noticing that more and more men, mostly in "public life" are "doing" their eyebrows, and I don't go for it at all. It makes their faces more feminine, bothers me, I notice it, etc. And don't let me get started on all those shaved men...

I'm also the type to "see" when features look surgically altered. Today, they wouldn't let Clark Gable on screen without surgery. I think that Audry Hepburn was much more attractive before she kept changing her face.

When I first saw the clip of Matisyahu in the Kenneth Cole ad, I thought something was just too "distinct" about his eyebrows. But maybe I was imagining it. Then my cousin sent me the link to Alexander Muss American High School in Israel. Matisyahu was an alumnus.


And his eyebrows do look fuller.

7 comments:

frumhouse said...

My husband looks like he shapes his eyebrows, but he doesn't. I am jealous of them! I don't like the look of a man with a unibrow. Nor do I like the look of a man with big fuzzy caterpillars over each eye. I think a bit of grooming is required.

EndOfWorld said...

lol. Did you really sit and compare the two?

Anonymous said...

man, youve got some serious issues.

Mindy Schaper said...

I think you do have a point, but the lighting, btw, makes the edges fade out. In addition to the obvious makeup, btw. I wonder how men react to this primping.

Batya said...

frum, did any of the kids inherit those brows?

end, certainly not. I just noticed without looking. then I saw the other picture and compared.

a, we're all different.

mindy, when I appeared live on IBA news, the make-up artist made my brows stronger, insisting that one photographs better with expressive brows.

YMedad said...

Look what I found:

Some people may be raising their eyebrows at one of the latest trends for men.

Men are putting the razors and trimmers aside and picking up the tweezers and wax to get a more precise look for their brows.

The days of the unibrow are gone as more men try to create a streamlined look for their brows and keep up with the women in the grooming department.

Men's beauty companies, such as national beauty retailer Sephora, offer brow grooming options for men, including the Jean Paul Gaultier brow pencil and brow groomer for $14 and $18 respectively.

Bring up the topic of men and waxing and many picture Steve Carell in the infamous body-waxing scene from "The 40 Year Old Virgin" or a look that is more feminine.

Whether to pluck or wax is the dilemma for many men, Sarah Smith, a stylist and esthetician for American Male, said. Taking matters into their own hands may be a scary proposition for some men, many of whom have been prompted by an outside source to get their brows done.

"There aren't many men who come in here willingly," Smith, of the North Queen Street salon, said. "But once they have it done, they always come back."

Smith pointed out that by working with a man's eyebrows and shaping them better, the eye's appearance is opened up.

Here's the article

Batya said...

That's if you like the look. I also think that women with very thin eyebrows look less intelligent than those with more "frame."