Sunday, September 07, 2008

Is That The Taste I Never Liked?

I guess my earliest "culinary memory" is refusing to drink from plastic baby bottles. I have quite a few memories from under the age of three, and one of them is that I drank from a bottle. When I was born, the bottles were made of glass. At some time, by the time I was three, and my brother was born, plastic was the material of choice. They didn't break into dangerous shards.

I refused to drink from them. I could taste the difference. When my parents decided that I was too old to drink from a bottle, I disagreed, they told me that they wouldn't buy me any more glass bottles. When my last breaks, I'd be weaned, or I'd have to agree to drink from plastic.


I must have been about four when I was down to one glass bottle. I'll never forget the scene. We were in the bathroom and my brother was standing. He touched the bottle, my very last glass bottle, and it went crashing to the floor.

That was the end of my bottles, but not the end of my hatred of plastic.

In the 1950's Tupperware was new on the scene. It was a godsend for young families, unbreakable! My mother bought some, but again I could taste something and hated eating from it.

Plastic isn't all the same, but I wonder if the
dangerous chemicals were the ones I tasted.

No comments: