Thursday, January 29, 2009

Great News For Coffee Lovers!


Drink Coffee and Keep Your "Marbles!"

That's the best way of summarizing this New York Times article.

For many years, in my heyday as a "health nut," I eschewed coffee, and drank all those brown faux coffee ground up, who knows what. I don't remember exactly how long ago I not only went back to drinking coffee, but I started with the real thing, not instant.
After controlling for numerous socioeconomic and health factors, including high cholesterol and high blood pressure, the scientists found that the subjects who had reported drinking three to five cups of coffee daily were 65 percent less likely to have developed dementia, compared with those who drank two cups or less.

I like these numbers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! I read a different article today about coffee. Supposed to help prevent colon cancer, too.

Love the stuff.

Sarah Likes Green said...

good to know...
but too much coffee and i won't sleep and then will be tired and cranky! so i'll stick to one or two a day.

:)

Batya said...

Leora, that's another good reason to enjoy it.
Sarah, I only drink coffee in the morning, or I won't sleep either.

I drink a lot of coffee in the morning. At the Eilat hotel the coffee waiter thought I was nuts asking for two cups to be filled simultaneously. I'm used to giant mugs!