Friday, January 30, 2009

It's Not Enough To Diet

I should have exercised more this week. Food isn't everything. Considering how busy, and out of my control, my meals were, I guess it's good that I didn't eat more than the Start Fresh kosher weight loss diet recommends.

Actually, there were times I ate less, which is bad according to the diet instructions. The key is never feeling hungry, and there were times I was starving, and there was nothing suitable and filling to eat.


When I'm home, the eating and meal planning are very easy. The problem when traveling is planning and packing food. At one of the Jerusalem Conference sessions, I was surprised to see a table-mate eat an apple taken out of his bag. I guess one can do it, as long as food isn't served at the same exact place. They had a constant supply of coffee, hot water, tea bags and cookies. When I arrived Tuesday afternoon, I had tea and lemon to fill me, but Wednesday I tried the coffee, since there was real milk, not the post-meat, non-dairy "whitener." And Monday evening, at the grand-opening, I had a few sushis.
Each week, each day has its challenges for the dieter, because dieting is full-time, for a lifetime. The tendency to be overweight will never leave.
I'm not a compulsive eater. That's not my problem. The diet methods which address bad habits and emotional eating with behavioral therapy don't suit me. I don't grab cookies or cake, because I can't be bothered, or don't have the time for, cooking. Yes, at certain events I find some foods irresistible, but those events are rare. They're too seldom to blame for the over fifty (50) pounds or twenty-three (23) unnecessary kilo on my body.
The young woman who supervised and guided my exercise on the machines at the Dan Panorama, Eilat, agreed that according to the "blood type food theory," carbohydrates aren't good for my body. I'm Blood Type O.
As I've written before, it will most probably take me at least a year and a half to get to a truly healthy weight. And if the weight stops coming off before then, I'll just have to make peace with it, yes give up--but stick to the basic diet.
I don't know how all this will end up, but in the meantime I'm grateful for the customer support I'm getting from Start Fresh. And I'm amazed that the diet actually suits me. I couldn't go on a diet which went against my food inclinations.
Shabbat Shalom U'Mevorach
Have a Peaceful and Blessed Sabbath

No comments: