Monday, April 07, 2014

Saying Goodbye to 50 Year Old Sweatshirts

Nowadays it's hard to find anything as strong and warm as my old 100% cotton sweatshirts, which I've held onto for almost half a century. I got them from NCSY and YU Seminars.  Here's a picture of me wearing one to high School.


This is a seminar sweatshirt decorated with SSSJ Student Struggle for Soviet Jewry buttons. In all honesty I must admit that this picture, and the sweatshirt, is probably only forty-eight (maybe 47, but not younger than that) years old, not fifty.  But when something is so close to half a century old, you can round it off, even if you're a CPA's daughter.

My sweatshirts made their way to Israel with us in 1970, and for most of the years, they hibernated peacefully in my closet. A few years ago I began sleeping in them on cold winter nights.  And now they really look their age:




So I decided, in a fit of Passover cleaning, considering that the tears exposed my shoulders to the cold making them pretty useless, to retire them. I actually threw them out.  I'm very proud of myself.

My old flybaby buddies should be proud of me...

7 comments:

goyisherebbe said...

Janet here: Yay Batya! We really are proud of you!

Batya said...

Thanks Janet, I needed to hear that.

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
I'll second the "Yay Batya!"
I would have saved parts of them as souvenirs and recycled the rest. We actually have cloth recycling bins here in Elon Moreh. (However I do have a whole stack of cloth from old clothing that's waiting for a project...)

Anonymous said...

Batya, you look familiar in that picture. What name did you go by at TLS?

Batya said...

Hadassa I took pictures and blogged. BDE.
A, Beth Spiegelman

Carmen said...

You were beautiful! And since true beauty comes from the soul, I'm sure you still are.

Batya said...

Carmen, thank you