Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Cakes I Took for Shabbat



We were invited to relatives in Efrat for Shabbat. I asked what to bring, and I was told to bring cakes for the siyyum (the festive completing of a portion of Torah learning) in memory l'ilu'i nishmato, of my mother-in-law's cousin, the father of our hostess.  So, on Thursday morning I rushed down to the local grocery to get some baking supplies.

I saw these blue and white sprinkles, and decided that they would be the prefect addition to one of the cakes. This Shabbat was shabbat mevorchim Rosh Chodes Iyyar, and the 5th day of Iyyar is Yom Ha'atzma'ut, when the color scheme is blue and white.

I made that cake with white flour and white sugar, so the blue and white of the sprinkles would be obvious. I was horrified to see that those pretty sprinkles made the cake batter green, as you can see here.

Luckily, I saved some and then coated, generously sprinkled them on top, hoping that they would end up hiding the green.


I guess it did work, because the final product does not have that green, which davka matches my nail-polish.

Click here for my simple, easy basic cake recipe.

2 comments:

goyisherebbe said...

All's well that ends well!

Batya said...

goyish, my weight won't be "well." It'll be up, but what goes up must go down. G-d willing