Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Filling Meal

Recently, I had a tasty, filling, reasonably priced meal at Jerusalem's Central Bus Station. There's a nice restaurant with places to sit on its second floor, near the street exit. It may be part of the "Na'aman" chain. You can also get served from the street, where I once had a good sandwich. There are different prices for "sitting" and "take-out."


The best bargain, not for those on super-strict diets, is their "toast." Choose between a white or whole wheat roll, and on it you can have two of their choice of proteins--tuna salads or a variety of cheeses, and they'll give you any of their cut salads you want. They heat the sandwach, squashing it in the "waffle-iron" toaster, making it easier to get into your mouth. My friend was glad they did it, because she couldn't imagine how she'd eat that giant sandwich, like the "hero sandwiches" I remember from decades ago.

It's served on a large plate with a nice salad and dressing of your choice.
The restaurant is pleasant, and they did lower the music volume when requested. At least they did for us. Actually, we had planned on eating in another bus station restaurant, but the noise was torture. Neither of us are capable of being in very noisy places without suffering.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that restaurant!!! I can't recall how many times I ate there (and some of the other bakery outlets under the same name in the building) during my year in Israel. SUCH a good place to grab a bite to eat while waiting for a bus (especially on a Friday afternoon), or to get some dinner after a long day (and a lot of shlepping). Their baked goods looked quite tempting, but I never sampled any of them.

Batya said...

t' how is it that you never sampled the baked goods?

Anonymous said...

Willpower. I really don't know...

Batya said...

I wish I had that sort of will power. There are things I don't get tempted by, since I've convinced myself that they're not really tasty.