Sunday, October 19, 2008

From Coffee To Water

In my previous post, I lamented a major coffee mistake, but now, with my precious cup of the sugared, milked brown stuff, next to me for sipping, it's time to blog about water.


Bottled Water!

Note, I didn't say "mineral water." A lot of the water for sale in bottles isn't mineral water. It's just processed water from unknown sources. At least unknown to the innocent, naive consumer. Other bottled water is less healthy and more contaminated than tap water.

I agree with this New York Times Editorial asking for accurate information by the bottlers. With all the articles about it, there isn't any real information about which bottled water is really worth paying for.

When we're in the states, I like the bottled mineral water, because I don't like the taste of the New York water. I also don't like the taste of many of the bottled waters, especially the "purified" water. I have the same problem in Israel. Yes, water, like wine, has different flavors, tastes. Oh, and I don't like the flavored waters either.

3 comments:

A Living Nadneyda said...

(from the NYT editorial) Among the states, so far only California has set strict standards to make sure carcinogens and other contaminants are not being sold as something purer than that mountain stream usually pictured on the labels.

We Californians take our water tasting almost as seriously as our wine tasting.... and we know never to trust advertising or labels! (I guess the huge water crisis has also made us a bit leery over the years). Glad NY is jumping on the bandwagon. Even Coke needs approval for its ingredients, does it not?

Mrs. S. said...

Yes, water, like wine, has different flavors, tastes.
I agree. I much prefer the taste of our water - which we filter through a simple under-the-sink carbon filter - to water which has been filtered using a reverse osmosis system. (To say nothing of the fact that RO systems waste a great deal of water...)

Batya said...

ALN, frightning. considering what's in some water.

mrs.s, we spent a fortune for the rs, and I can't drink the water. What a waste. It tastes too much like the NY stuff.