Sunday, February 11, 2007

strange letter, personalized spam?

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I think I just got a personalized spam letter. It could be legit, but I understand that the spam scams start like this.

I'm not going to handle money for strangers, just like I tell those telemarketing fundraisers that I won't contribute by phone. When they hand up in response I feel totally justified.

Here's the letter:
Dear Batya,
I have written you a while ago and you answered. I don't remember what we corresponded on but it went well enough for me. I check out your blog weekly and have even posted on it. I was wondering if you would be able to help me out with something. My husband is about to sign a contract to work with this Jewish man on the east coast, I live on the west coast. I have never met this man,but I listen to what he has to say through my husband and I like his words so far. The words of his are enough for me to move forward. The bottom line is the work contract has to be signed for with what I am about to ask you for help with.
When my husband / if my husband signs the contract to work with this man and the price is good I was wondering if I sent you money would you be able to deliver it to people that I would like to recieve it. The first family I would like to send it to is a family that I read about on the news whose children were badly injured on a bus, I believe one of the daughters had her legs blown off, and if I recall there was another sibling hurt.Do you remember this family? I do not have any news clippings about them ,but I know you would be able to figure it out. I have no idea how much money to start with a small amount I am sure 500.00 to 1,000 dollars. And then we can see how things go. My only request is this, this all remains only between me and you. I want this to be very easy for you. I send you the money, you give it to the people. I will pay for your expense, and enought to take your family out for dinner.
The next time I come to Israel maybe we can meet, briefly, so you can see the person behind the words. Think about this and let me know. This is how simple I want to keep it. I do not want to use an organization. Me, to you, to them. If you have any questions, feel free.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Muse

I think you're being prudent being very cautious. Remember your best defense is giving no info including that you have recieved this email until you check it out.

I think their email address will tell a lot. Googgle their email address.

Do they say which city, surname etc? Google these. Then if you think you know the person is 'this' person from 'here' send a message to re contact you via again with more info via another route that reveals nothing about you.

Example: Say they're John Doe and they work at Bruce Brown tractor parts.
Get the Real email address of Bruce Brown Tractor Parts ( An established business..) and ask them if they know John Doe. If so send John Doe c/o Bruce Brown tractor parts an email.

If they haven't provided any 'real' concrete background to who they are then the alarm bells should be really ringing.

It could be a very clever scam, or it could be some one who sympathises with some of your causes, and genuinely wants to help.

What do others think?

Shalom BB

Batya said...

I read a confession of someone who had gotten sucked into one of the scams, and it started like this--delivering money.