Monday, February 05, 2007

Guess where I am!

No, I'm not a home.
And no, I'm not in an internet cafe`
nor the public library.
I'm not at my husband's office,
nor at a friend's or one of my kids.

I'm at... work!

Let's put it very simply. I came about four hours too early for a staff meeting. How did I do that? Simple! I finished teaching at 3:25, and there's a staff meeting called for 7:15.
My daughter said that she'd be with the girls today, so I don't have to babysit. It doesn't pay to "tremp" (hitchhike) home or even go to Jerusalem for an hour or two, just to spend money. I did that here in Beit El while waiting. There's a nice-sized store near the yeshiva. I bought a couple of pairs of stockings.

That store "saved" me from being at a terror attack almost eleven years ago. Our old road went via Beit El, after going through downtown Ramallah. I was in a ride with a neighbor who wanted to shop in that store after going to the Beit El gas station. So instead of turning right to the main road from the gas station, she turned left to go into Beit El. Then she stopped the car and called the store owner on her cellphone to see if they'd open a few minutes early.

When she got off the phone we saw people running out towards the road. An Arab terrorist had shot at the people, mostly teenagers, students in this very same yeshiva. The terrorists murdered David Boim, HaYa"D.

If we hadn't turned into Beit El when we did, we would have had been on the road when the Arab terrorist was shooting.

I hadn't really planned on writing about it, but I guess it was on my mind, since I had already told the story to one of the teachers before going to the store. In three weeks, it'll be eleven years since the terror attack in which I was injured, lightly injured, but just have had been there changed my life.

That's another story of course.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were spared to live!! The world need you!! and we hare in blogland need you

may hashem watch over you and yours, and all of am Yisroal

I can understand the special feeling u have to that store. after all they were the shliach min shamayim to save u!

Batya said...

thank you
Those brushes with terror, and the terrorist's car on my foot, was heavy, really did make me feel connected to G-d.