My married daughter is now a member of a family that eats rice as often as we eat noodles, which I can eat morning, noon and night, if it weren't so fattening. She frequently ends up cooking a batch before Shabbat, so her family won't suffer.
This week, since we had to make a quick birthday party of 2 year old Porat, and she said she'd be late, I decided to risk it and make a batch of rice all by myself the way I've seen her do it.
this is what I did:
- I put enough water in the electric kettle
- I started checking the rice, but I measured what I was using
- I put some oil to heat in a good pot
- when I finished checking the rice I put it into the oil, added some salt, pepper and paprika
- then the boiling water--double the amount I had used as rice
- closed the pot
- kept cooking for 20 minutes
- then turned off the flame
- and the next day my daughter gave her approval.