Thursday, December 18, 2008

Am I Becoming A Dieter?

You can call this a "public diet."

I was really happy and surprised to discover that I had lost over a kilo on Start Fresh. It's not an awful lot, but I hadn't been as strict as I could have been.

That's because I don't want the diet, or any diet, to take over my life to the point where there's a separation between living and losing weight. My goal, which I had almost convinced myself was impossible, so not worth even trying to achieve, was to find a way of being thinner without being in "diet mode." Does that make sense?

A "diet" is a temporary thing, and I need a permanent change, which I can live with and feel is "me" and not some "diet." Have a lost you?

Yesterday, day #8 of the Start Fresh kosher diet allowed me two portions of carbohydrates, the veggie variety--no bread or pasta. I planned them as brown rice and d'la'at, pumpkin. It's harder for me to resist "too much" rice if I make up a big batch and take a portion, so I figured that cooking up the rice with the tofu would be best. But I have no idea how much uncooked rice would swell into my allowance. As little as I cooked, it was probably too much, and it took much longer to cook than I had planned. So of course, I ate later and was more stressed when leaving the house in order to go babysit. Luckily, my neighbor, who had also been waiting for a ride to Ofra, reassured me that she had been waiting a half hour before I arrived. I didn't miss anything.

I didn't feel any "better" after having the rice. I get filled up and satisfied from cooked vegetables. On the other hand, the d'la'at was a great addition.

So, my head has begun to spin:
"Maybe I don't need the carbs. I felt fine week #1 without them."

I know that can get "dangerous," and it's not the mental place I want to be. I want to slowly, gradually and naturally change my eating habits, so weight will come off and stay off. My body has to change. Neither of my parents has my weight problem. I'll deal with that sort of phenomenae in another post.

blogger isn't spellchecking, so please let me know if there are typos, thanks

4 comments:

A Soldier's Mother said...

Keep up the good work! You are so right - it really is all about a life adjustment and NOT a diet (now if only I could get myself to implement that). I'm 4+ weeks away from my son's bar mitzvah and so need to get into something healthier than where I am! Good luck with this - you are encouraging all of us!

Paula

Batya said...

Mazal tov and thank you for the encouragement!!

First don't think of it as a diet, or even eating healthy. Just fill your plate with vegetables and salad, leaving less room for the protein and limit starch to one meal a day. Best if you make a starch you don't like.

I stopped baking and my husband buys cakes I don't like. We did that even before the diet.

Don't add diet stress to the Bar Mitzvah, but make sure the menu has your favorite low carb/fat foods.

After the Bar Mitzvah, you can diet if it's really necessary. Enjoy your kids.

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly with your advice.

Batya said...

Lea, thanks