Sunday, December 14, 2008

Old Age Is Getting Closer-- "I'm A Sandwich"

We're four generations, bli eyin haraa, shouldn't tempt the "evil eye." Even though I'm approaching "senior discount age," my parents are still alive. I also have grown children, empty nest, and grandchildren.

I babysit pretty regularly, a couple of times a week and go to the states to see my parents once a year.

My parents, like many, have stayed in their house too long. Almost nobody likes to move when they're "on top of things" and functioning OK, but once everyday life gets too hard, moving is almost impossible. I'm checking out old age, independent living "homes" for my parents in Jerusalem. I don't know if they'll really come, and with today's United States economic depression/recession, who knows what they can afford. As ridiculous as the prices are here, it's worse there.

My kids are concerned and wonder how we'll be in another decade or two. I don't blame them. My parents, in their prime, were much more competent than we are.

No comments: