Thursday, December 18, 2008

Should I Eliminate the Carbs?

Week two in my Start Fresh kosher diet, and I get two servings of carbohydrates a day. I feel heavier, fuller and heavier. That's after the brown rice, which I cooked with onion, carrot and a bit of oil, besides lots of water, so they'd swell bigger and weigh less per grain.

Or maybe I'm feeling more bloated from the salt in the Tamari sauce, I use to give the tofu flavor. Yesterday, I didn't have all that much exercise, just to the bus stop, from the entrance of Ofra to my daughter's then to the babysitter, then the afternoon program and then the grocer and then the bazaar and then back to the house. At least a kilometer, I guess.

Today, I walked around my neighborhood twice, making it at least two kilometers, meaning about 1.2 miles. I was much more active the beginning of the week.

On Monday I had a great workout in the pool. There was water aerobics, and then I walked in Jerusalem. I also walked there on Sunday. On Tuesday, there was the tour of Herodian, no long walks, but tough stairs, strain on the knees, but divided between the two.

I still can't believe that I'm on a diet. If I find that there's no weight loss this week, I guess I have to cut down again on the carbs. I think that all I need is cooked vegetables. They satisfy me like carbs. When I made the rice this time, I made a lot for both me and my husband. I took my portion and added it to the tofu and vegetables, and then I put the rice in the fridge. Whoever made up the rule, "Out of Sight, Out of Mind," was right. In my non-dieting mode, I'd just keep taking spoon after spoon after spoon and discover that I'd eaten enough to feed a family of big eaters. Now you know why I'm so fat. It happens to me with carbs.

I'm getting tired, and I still have some stuff to do in the kitchen. The house is an awful mess. Shabbat's tomorrow, so I had better stay away from the computer, at least for now.



2 comments:

Leora said...

Some women find if they eat a lot of whole grains, which are otherwise healthy and nutritious, they gain weight.

We have a health practitioner locally who suggests eliminating all sugar and white flour products and eating chicken, meat or fish with vegetables for weight loss. He warns against soy.

Good luck. Food is such an important part of our culture, hard to say no when something looks so good. Or when you're the cook.

Batya said...

Thanks, Leora,
The "eliminating all sugar and white flour products" is pretty standard nowadays, but when you say "soy" do you mean tofu? It's highly recommended on the diet, but my friend who's a doctor thinks it can be dangerous, especially in frequent high doses.

I do better without bread. Let's see if I lose this week.

Thanks for the support.