Saturday, December 13, 2008

Something to Read and Diet Update

Never in a million years did I ever imagine that I'd be posting a "public diet." And even though it has been decades since I could deny my need to lose weight, I haven't tried a "real diet" for many years.

Today I mentioned to a friend that b'mikreh, by chance, I found myself dieting, and she reminded me that according to Jewish lore, nothing is "by chance." The "hand of G-d" controls all of these unexpected things.

Since I've been blogging, I've been sent books to review, but it never occurred to me that I'd be offered a diet. You can scroll down to hear more of my experiences with my Start Fresh diet.

For a religious Jew, there are many advantages to dieting according to Start Fresh. Of course, the recipes are kosher and meal planning has meat, dairy and parve options. In addition, Shabbat and Jewish holidays are taken into account. Even though carbohydrates are forbidden in the first week, they're allowed for the three Shabbat meals. And since it's almost Chanukah, they post suitable recipes, since forced deprivation usually causes irresistible urges, cravings and binging.

As usual, I'm making trouble, or bending rules. I didn't have any whole wheat matzah, which is supposed to be eaten instead of challah. So I had a bit of whole wheat challah, dry and not sweet. I really didn't have more than a couple of bites, since I wasn't allowed to eat it drenched in olive oil. My teaspoon of olive oil went no further than the salad and vegetables.

At the Shiur Nashim, Women's Study Class on Shabbat, I wasn't very tempted by the goodies. There were lots of fruit, but I stuck to the seasonal ones, persimmons and kiwi. I had just one bit of cake, dry and nothing special. The walk there and back covered my exercise requirements, no exaggeration.

And about the reading material I had promised... The Gantseh Megillah is back online. There are some great articles, so enjoy!

No comments: