Monday, February 21, 2011

The Store is Like a Playing Field

As you must know by now, if you're a regular here,  I work in Yafiz, Sha'ar Binyamin, which is the Rami Levi clothing for the whole family store, and on of my sons plays IFL Football.  I was also the "temporary girls gym teacher" for thirteen years.  And yes, in case you're wondering, that's the longest I've worked at any job or profession.

I have worked at a number of stores over the years, and now I'm back again.  Here's a listing; I may have left something out:
  • American department store, the A&S which used to be at the junction of Northern Blvd., Community Drive and East Shore Road, Manhasset, NY.
  • local green grocers
  • children's clothing store in Center 1, Jerusalem
  • bagel bakery, restaurant
  • local hat and clothing store
And I've worked at other things, besides teaching Creative Dance, Women's Exercise, P.E. and then EFL English.

Yes, I've done a lot and worked in many places.  Some of the stores were so small, I was on my own.

Now I'm about to collapse.  It's time for me to go to bed.

Today at work, some other workers asked me if I'd be collapsing when I got home.  That's because they can see how hard I work.  I look at the entire store and if nobody is covering an area, then I'm there.  It reminds me of how my football player son keeps an eye on the field.  He plays defense and must keep an eye on the ball the other players and guess where the ball will go and who will catch it.

In the store, I try to connect the potential customer to a product and get them to the cashier.  It is like a game.  I enjoy it.

2 comments:

Ed Greenberg said...

I remember the A&S in Manhasset, but the A&S in Brooklyn was my favorite. At the corner of Hoyt and Schermerhorn Sts, it was eight stories tall and had dedicated subway entrance from the IRT Hoyt St station one level down from the Bargain Basement.

The toy department was on the eighth floor.

I remember the elevator lobby, with ten elevators, each operated by a human employee, taking shoppers up and down.

My memories are from about 1960, when I was five years old. We used to take the subway from Kingston Avenue and Eastern Parkway, to Hoyt St. to go to A&S.

Batya said...

We didn't shop in Brooklyn, just visit relatives. But I remember those elevators from Manhattan department stores.